nicole rademacher

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

recipes

What a fantastic idea! A friend of mine posted a recipe - who would have thunk!!! I simply must must start doing that! The only problem is the things I come up with, or started making way back when, well, I don't know the measurements. If you so choose to use one of my recipes, you will just have to be adventurous.

Blackberry-Balsamic Chicken
  • Chicken breasts - you can use whatever you like, really. When I first made this (I think I got it from the Food & Wine Magazine) it called for four boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I think this might be even better if you used boned and skin-full chicken - even thighs!!!
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Seedless blackberry preserves (I have also used apricot and raspberry)
  • Extra virgin olive oil - please please don't use another kind of oil. It just isn't the same.
  • Powdered thyme (or any other type of thyme)
  • One red onion
  • salt and pepper to taste
First, chop up the red onion (if you are cooking for less than four, don't use all the onion). Pour a bit of oil into a sauce pan. Once the oil is hot add the onion. Lightly fry until the color starts to fade from the onion. While the onion is frying, prepare the chicken by rubbing the thyme into each side. Once the color has started to fade from the onions, add the chicken. If you are using breasts you will fry them about 6 minutes on each side. Once the chicken has been properly cooked, (We all know that you shouldn't under cook the chicken, but you shouldn't over cook either - it just gets tough and dry - yuck) remove from the pan and turn the heat to low. Add the preserves to the pan. I would say about a cup or two. Once they have started to melt, add the balsamic vinegar *BE CAREFUL* better to err on the less vinegar-y side. Start with a light slosh. When the consistency is pretty liquid-y, turn off the fire and pour over the chicken. Well, actually, I prefer to put a piece of chicken on each plate then pour a bit of the sauce over the chicken. Serve with wild rice or red potatoes and veggies. Yummy!

No comments: