nicole rademacher

Saturday, April 3, 2010

the Holy Weekend

Well, it is Easter (or I guess officially it is tomorrow). Here they play religious movies non-stop on all the TV channels. We have extensive choices ranging from Cleopatra (the 1999 made-for-TV-version), Moses: the Laws, Jesus of Nazareth ... I'm not quite sure exactly why Cleopatra is being shown - I guess her connection with the Roman Empire .... hmmmm. And needless to say they are all dubbed versions, which indeed is my favorite way to watch movies. In fact, I wish that every movie that I watch from now on would be dubbed - in any language - hell, in Quechua.



The good thing about this is that it is rather nostalgic for me, since I was subjected to Catholic schools for 11 years of my life and Sunday school before then. It is kinda delightful remembering the stories - and they are truly rich stories. I have even started picking out my favorite - King Solomon by far! He was everything a Jew was not supposed to be, yet king. His riches, the temple, his wives ... I do so enjoy contradictions.



Anyway, that's it, just a simple musing on nostalgia and the great stories that we (in the universal sense) have grown up with. I assume that every culture has their own counterparts. I bet if I googled King Solomon and equivalents, I would find many. Or Moses. Even thinking about it, Jesus.

Happy Easter - or whatever holiday you prefer to celebrate!

No comments: